Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Wednesday, August 22, 2007

You May. . .

Today I have a couple of "you may" issues on my mind. One of them is taking all of my ability to concentrate which is no good but more than likely, inevitable. The other is just plain hilarious, and so I'll start with that. This morning Q wanted one of the small bags of chips that I buy to send to school in my children's lunches. Sometimes, Q gets it into his mind that he needs one for breakfast and that scenario has also been known to include Ice Cream. Today, it was just chips, and I told him that he had to eat something else first, and then if he was still hungry I'd give him a bag of chips. He didn't like that. What four year old would? Well after a significant amount of moaning groaning and general unhappiness, he says to me . . .I suppose to show me who had the real power in the family, "Mom, you MAY get me a bag of chips." I had a hard time not dissolving into a pile of laughs. He tried some version of that about four more times, and at that point I said, ". . .and Q, you MAY go to your room if you don't settle down." Skipping to the good stuff, he came out of his room when he was in control of himself and asked for some cereal. By the time he had finished with that, he had forgotten about the chips. My best guess as to the origin of Q's new word? Most certainly his grandmother. My Mom was a High School English Teacher when my parents were first married. I can almost hear the conversation.
Q - "Grandma, can I have some ice cream?"
Grandma - "Do you mean "May I have some ice cream?"
Q - "May I have some ice cream?
Grandma - "Yes, you may have some ice cream."

Q's mind grabs hold - "May is a very powerful word. I'm going to have to use it again soon."

Now for my other "may" issue. It occurred to me that I have done design work for a company before, although as a freelance designer rather than as a part of a team making up promotion pieces. I sent a note to the Design Team Leader at the company doing the Fresh Face call asking her opinion on whether or not my previous work disqualified me for this call. She sent a note back saying that it was a gray area, and asked for more information, photos of things I'd done, etc. to help her I sent the requested information along and that is where it stands. It is difficult to wait on the response when I know that it is a "may or may not" situation. I may be able to apply, I may not. I'm just glad that I asked now, rather than assuming that it would be okay and then finding out after all the work that I was over-qualified. I think I fit into a kind of loop-hole, and I hope that they see it that way, too. We'll just have to wait because for now it it simply out of my hands. My only real problem is finding something to take my mind off of it while I wait.

No comments: