Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Tuesday, August 28, 2007

The Lightbulb Moment

Yesterday my eldest, T, was so on top of his lawn mowing duties that I was floored. When he came into the office I was surprised and asked if he had already mowed. He nodded. Then, the words that every mother (and father) dream will come across the lips of their children were uttered by none other than the boy himself. "Mom, did you know that if you just do the work, and don't complain about it, it gets done a lot faster?" He was very impressed with this discovery. I was in complete shock, my brain telling my lips, "you need to say something, fast. . . you need to reinforce this, huuurrry uuupppp! . . ." I think I said something really intelligent like, "Isn't it great how that works?" We talked a little more about the phenomenon and I was understandably enthusiastic. Simply put, in this home we also harbor some major whiners and they look up to T in larger than life ways. He is, after all, "in the sixth grade" which is then end of the known universe for C & E. If my son has truly had a learning moment, his good example will flow to the others like honey from a spoon. Just the thought of a little less whining, oh it's heavenly. Come to think of it, C didn't complain at all about mowing, either. I'll have to throw in a little more thanks and praise today. Next to having a big brother doing the right thing, nothing beats a mom or dad who make sure you know when you've done something wonderful.

No comments: