Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Wednesday, August 29, 2007

Blogs for Boys

Yesterday morning, I set up blogs for the boys. First, we had to set up email accounts for them. I set up their blogs, under my ownership, and then invited them, via their new email accounts, to be guest posters. Then I got them their very own google blogger accounts so that they can sign in, and access their blog without going through mine. It was fun. They really enjoyed seeing their own blog space, ready to roll. It will be interesting to see what they do with it. Just like anything, I want to help them to keep it as private as possible: photos that they take of objects rather than people, no full names, no personal information. I want them to use it, mostly because writing is such a great exercise for the mind and writing well is a confidence booster, especially at their young ages.
So, we finished getting it all set up, and as I came out of the office E looks at me with puppy dog eyes. "Let me guess, you want your own blog, too?" She nods, with a sad little smile. I told her that we'll see how the boys do, and if they can work it out okay without too much help from mom, we'll think about it. That was enough, surprisingly. I think that she was happy that I recognized the look on her face, and was able to divine what she was communicating. Sometimes, people just like to know that they've been heard. I think, in the end, that is what blogging for me is all about.

No comments: