Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Monday, August 20, 2007

More Summer Vacation

This is the first day in three weeks that I would have been able to sleep in, a bit. T, C & E are out of school until the week after labor day. Of course today would be the day that I was awake just prior to 5 a.m. I thought to myself, "If I'm still awake at 6 o'clock, I'll get up and do something." Unfortunately, it was obvious by quarter after 5 that I wouldn't be getting back to sleep. I've been looking up information on the State Fair, and opening e-mails - as they come in. . .ouch.
I could go for a walk. D usually leaves for the gym around 6:30 on weekday mornings. It would give him a fairly innocuous scare if I just wasn't here, anywhere, when he got up - because I am always here. I'm pretty dependable that way. I usually wake up just enough to wave as he goes out the bedroom door. Sometimes I get up, shower and get on with my day. Considering that I've never "not been here", in 14 years, I'm thinking the police could get involved very quickly. He'd probably at least call my mother, a little worried. And, well - it is my Dad's birthday so why rock the boat today. I'll stay home.
I've been casually contemplating, for a couple of days, what I'd like to submit for the "design team" call. I think that I'll go the scrapbook route - or at least, the scrapbook route seems to be where my strength lies. I think that I should watercolor an image, just to show some versatility and artistry. I could do that on a scrapbook page. The fact is, I have some fantastic photos of the children which would make easy work of any page. I don't have any "ideas" for a 3-D project. I did purchase a little see-through paint-style container which I could play with. In the end I'll probably end up doing enough for both, and make the decision based on what looks best. It has been a treat having a goal, creatively.
Timing couldn't be better. I have two weeks of fairly unstructured time before things are due at either the design call, or the state fair. (Honestly, when do you get an opportunity to relax from the structure of your main work, just in time for another big project. Doesn't happen to me very often.) I'm not sure why I'm interested in exhibiting things at the state fair, except that I guess I just have this itch to compete, and see where I land. The judging for the state fair will take place on my birthday. The design team people will be notified the day before my birthday. I don't know if that would be considered good luck, or not. At any rate, I'd hope that my birthday would be a happy occasion that would only make any outcome, in either case, better.
It's nearly 7 a.m. now. I haven't heard D leave, which is quite uncommon. I think it's time for that shower.

No comments: