Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Thursday, January 24, 2008

Note to a Dear Friend (9-15-2005)

Hi K,
Thanks for being my vent the other day. It took just enough steam off of my brain so that I could be on with the day. Q is my little jekyl and hyde child. All day today he has been sweet as my favorite ice cream. Lots of "Thank you, Mommy" and big big smiles. Some days with him are almost more that I can bear. He's looking all day for the "thing he wants" and just can't seem to figure out what that thing is. Meals with him on those days can be lengthy and laborious. One day for lunch, I made him 2 different kinds of sandwiches, a hot dog and a corn dog. With ALL of those things in front of him, he finally settled down, and started to eat. He nibbled a little bit on every single one. I was shell shocked after that. If it were like that everyday, I'm sure I'd be in a straitjacket.
There are a lot of things about motherhood that probably every mother could relate to. One thing, however, is that each family is so unique. Like God's own family, each person is unique and amazing with so much potential. I try to remember that when I see children that behave differently than my own. Like when I'm standing in line at the post office trying to keep mine from staging a coup, watching mothers with quiet children who seem to be afraid to breathe. I'm excited to see what mine do with their lives. Looking into the future, when I won't be the only one responsible for their actions is amazingly comforting. I suppose that my happiness in looking forward has a good deal to do with the fact that I like my life and I'm hopeful that they'll be happy, too. 
Abby

More from my past journals - I think it's obvious why I decided to post this. This is Real Life.

No comments: