Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Monday, January 21, 2008

Awareness

Well, I suppose that if I were going to engage in some emotional eating - this would be the moment. I would drown the feeling at the pit of my stomach in chocolate. But, I'm not going to. There's nothing I want to say about "having too much respect for myself to eat sweets." It's totally not that. What I am staring in the face today is this: I am now aware of WHY I would be eating the chocolate. There isn't much fun in eating chocolate knowing full well that I'm trying to use it to get dampen the "feelings" that I'm dealing with. Having a little chocolate with my meal is a treat. It's fun. It's a reward. Having a little chocolate right now seems like an empty hope and that is the last thing I need at the moment.

Awareness is an amazing tool. I'll have to find another way to ease my pain, but I think that's a good thing.

2 comments:

EarlGirl said...

How about a hot bath with candles. And a Jane Austen novel. And some really strong herbal tea sweetened with half a box of splenda. Those are my favorites. Or a huge bowl of buttery popcorn.

Abby said...

Peppermint tea. For Sure. And I think right now I'm really in the mood for some Persuasion. Like it. Like it a lot.