Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Monday, January 7, 2008

MUFAs and Me

On Sunday I found an article at my Mom’s about belly fat. That’s where the last 10 pounds went - after trying on some of my skirts yesterday, I have no doubt of that. The article was interesting - noting the benefits of Monounsaturated fatty acids (MUFAs) in the diet. It encouraged including one source of MUFAs in every meal. Lucky for me, they are all my favorite things! Nuts and seeds, Olives & Olive oil, Peanut Butter (not processed), Dark Chocolate - even Semi-sweet chocolate chips, and Avocados! Strangely, I haven’t purposely been including them because of the fat. I can slide some of those things into my diet, NO PROBLEM. The article also indicated the following: Try to maintain even stress levels, Eat 4 smaller meals every day, with a specific calorie goal, Have support, Avoid eating for emotional reasons - and this is what I have to say to that. . .
My goal is to change one small thing for the better. What I am learning is that one small change is enough! Last week, I just started paying attention, but I know it made a big difference. It helps me to naturally control emotional eating - so I feel like I’ve incorporated that already. I’m not going to restrict calories, except to be aware of portion sizes - and I’m going to include my favorite “good for me” fats. That’s technically two small changes but I thing that the first falls handily into the being more aware category, too. So, my one positive change is to include more MUFA’s in my diet. I think I may get some unprocessed peanut butter. We’ll see if I can stomach peanut butter sandwiches for lunch. I’m not going to do that until the soup I made on Saturday is gone, however. I’ll just include some chocolate with my lunch for a while. The nicest thing about that scenario is that including chocolate will be a positive food choice! I can hardly believe that, but it’s true. Just like the nuts I had this morning with my breakfast! Right now, I feel a little like I’m in the twilight zone, but as they say, sometimes the truth is stranger than fiction.

No comments: