Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Sunday, December 23, 2007

Thoughts from Ether 10

"And it came to pass that Shez did remember the destruction of his fathers, and he did build up a righteous kingdom; for he remembered what the Lord had done in bringing Jared and his brother aacross the deep; and he did walk in the ways of the Lord; and he begat sons and daughters.

"And never could be a people more blessed than were they, and more prospered by the hand of the Lord. And they were in a land that was choice above all lands, for the Lord had spoken it."

It struck me when I was reading this that through remembering the difficulties of his ancestors, Shez was able to build up a righteous kingdom. I have also felt that I am able to draw strength and courage thinking of my own ancestors, and all they went through. One of my ancestral families was in the Willie Handcart company. Every member of the family survived - down to the youngest child. I would like to document that a little more, for myself and my family. I think that there are probably a number of excellent ancestral stories which could be documented in a book for my children and I to look upon and consider, and draw strength from. I'm getting a really good feeling about this one. Better get crackin' while my Grandma is still with us!

1 comment:

EarlGirl said...

What a great idea! My parents just started inviting us over, to tell us about significant spiritual experiences, and to tape record them for the rest of the kids who don't live nearby. I learned all kinds of things I didn't know about my own parents.