Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Thursday, December 20, 2007

Making plans

It's always a dangerous thing. I mean, think about it. Murphy's law is REAL. There is an entire website devoted to the documentation of every aspect of Murphy's law. You should check it out, it's a hoot - and that was the link back there, in case you weren't sure. So what's this all about? Well Christmas is all about planning, and today I ran headlong into Murphy's Law with respect to the plans I've been making for our Christmas celebrations. Yikes. This story starts about 20 years ago. In Japan. We lived there when I was a young girl and I enjoyed there a fruit that I had never experienced before - the Japanese Pear. Juicy like a pear, it is crisp and shaped like an apple with a very mild and wonderful flavor. The fruit is extremely tender and must be handled with great care. They are literally grown covered in paper bags while on the tree. I love them. I prize them. But, as they are quite expensive I buy them infrequently and usually only for special occasions. Enter Christmas plans. When I was at Costco, I saw some and decided that it would be Just the thing to set off our morning. I got them with the hope that I'd be able to keep them safe and sound until the big day. Enter Murphy. Today after school, looking for a snack, my 12 year old takes them all out of the fridge and before he could even ask the impending question - his brother bumps him. . . the fruit takes a dive. . . I'm in shock. It all happened so fast.

So much for my careful planning. Murphy certainly got the best of me this time. We did, however, have a delicious after school snack today.

1 comment:

EarlGirl said...

Oh, that's so sad! I hate it when things like that happen.