Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Friday, December 14, 2007

Are you Crazy?


Most people think we are crazy for having five children. I honestly can't imagine out life without each and every one. Things were a little tricky this morning when my Mini-Van had a flat tire and the kids needed to be taken to school. D was still home. Like the manly man that he is, he took care of that flat tire in under one half hour! (Just in case he reads this today, I'm adding emphasis to the terrific effort he put into the project. I am very appreciative.) In the meantime, I shuttled the children to school in his Miata. (The fact that he has that car was actually my idea, lest you think otherwise.) T, the oldest, was only about 15 minutes late - which includes the time we had to take getting A into a warm coat, boots and mittens so that she could be outside with Dad until Mommy got home. So, yes - we started our day with a garage door that wouldn't open (tripped GFI), a flat tire and still managed to get the kids to school without being absurdly late. I felt very good about that. The rest of the day is pretty much planned for me. I need to go to our tire shop and get the flat fixed. After that, I may run down to Costco since it's within half a mile and I don't get over there much anymore. The children will be done with school at 1:25 p.m. today. Then, we'll get E & Q ready to spend the night with their cousins. (My family is more than wonderful - this was all my sister's idea.) I will make French bread pizza for the A and the boys. D will be home a little early and then we'll take off to his company Christmas party. Busy to be sure, but not bad. Could be much worse. Already had one of those this week.

Five children. It's what we wanted. It's much harder than I dreamed, or could have been told - I wouldn't have believed them anyway. When people idealize my life (and some do) I laugh. This isn't the life for a sissy. Thankfully, I never have been a wimp. I've always been one to jump in feet first, arms flailing, lacking grace but wholeheartedly. It really is one of the best ways to live life. When you know what you want and feel it is the right course for you, anything else is effectively to deny yourself your greatest possible joys. You may also miss out on some pain, but in the end you're going to have pain either way. Live life. Live Right. Live it Well.

One day at a time--this is enough.
Do not look back and grieve over the past for it is gone;
and do not be troubled about the future, for it has not yet come.
Live in the present, and make it so beautiful
it will be worth remembering.

1 comment:

Kim said...

You have great insights Abby. This too is a great post. Its allowed me to reflect on what I want most. Lately I've felt completely off balance with my priorities. Staying home with my kids is great however, sometimes I forget why I stay home. I focus on so many other things other than my family and I things just don't run well when I do this. I've gotten rid of television but now this silly computer beckons me for one quick glance on this or that site. Anyway, I've got to go and oversee our Saturday morning cleanup... it's sounding a bit crazy at the moment!!!! :)