Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Thursday, December 13, 2007

Forward Energy

I have had a request to discuss the Forward Energy I discussed in the Goals entry. For me, it all started in November with the Successful Mothering Convention, Women's Show and Connie Sokol. These are links to her company - LifeChange, where you can subscribe to her weekly emails, and internet radio show which she does weekly (on Tuesdays) where she shares fantastic ideas and doles out an amazing amount of inspiration!
LifeChange Program
Connie Sokol Podcasts
I live close enough to her to attend her "Get a LIFEVision" class in January, which is listed on the LifeChange webpage at the bottom. If there are five or more of us that would like to go, it would only be $15 each. I have been considering getting a group together, let me know if you'd like to go. The first time I heard Connie speak, I was totally inspired, and I was literally launched on a journey like no other - The journey to myself. The real launch, really took place after I went through her "Get a LIFEVision" kit. I had recognized beforehand that I was ready for some major changes but I didn't know exactly how or what to implement. Listening to the CD and reading the book helped me to. . . are you ready?. . . figure out what I REALLY WANT from my life, my whole life. It helped me give flesh bones and life to things that had been floating around in my head and heart. Once you have that, you can soar, and boy have I!

Here is MY LifeVision:

(Keep in mind that this is what I WANT, not what I have. This is the place I can draw my goals from. This is also very personal to ME. You would need to draw things from your own soul for this to be truly effective in your life. Also keep in mind that there are no right or wrong answers and that you need to free yourself from self imposed mental limits to have this really be effective.)

Whether abundant or scarce, I cherish time with my family and show my love for them constantly.
My faith and trust in God are inspiring. My actions are as powerful in bearing witness of Him as my words are. 
I am radiantly beautiful and strong - physically, mentally and spiritually.
I present myself in a way which draws people to me. 
I confidently teach and share my skills, talents and testimony.
I maintain Balance in Nurturing myself and others.
I continually strive for self improvement, knowledge and understanding.
I am grateful for the opportunity to give and share my abundant blessings with others.


Next, the goals I set for the year and the rewards I attached to them:

Be Mentally Strong, and Physically Fit and Continue to make progress Spiritually.

Mental Goal: I will work through the Math Homework for Algebra II and Trigonometry. When I finish a section of Math Homework, I will arrange for some time out of the house, for myself, just for fun.


Physical Goal: I will transform my weak physical body into a fit, fabulous body. Each time I exercise three to four times a week, I will take time to Scrapbook on Saturday or Sunday for as long as I’d like.


Spiritual Goal: I will Attend the Temple once a month. When I attend the Temple, I will take extra time to write in my journal about the thoughts and feelings I had there. I will make some extra time for my children to have a little treat as well.

You can adjust your rewards as needed. The rewards should be as motivating as the overall reason for doing it.

From these main goals, I draw monthly and weekly goals. They are smaller chunks of the larger goal. Starting to exercise, drinking more water, looking at the math book, etc. These are bits that I can actually bite off and chew! Because I am working on the larger goals all year (her actual program focuses only on things for one quarter at a time, but this is working for me) I'm kind to myself and it is easy to keep things in perspective. Isn't that where most of us get stuck?
Yesterday was a HORRIBLE day, Last night my baby started stomach flu near the end of the wicked day and was sick all night. I wasn't feeling well this morning. Today I'm relaxing, and giving myself room to breathe. I am not feeling guilty that I didn't drink the water, or that I needed the sleep more than Yoga this morning. I am not a failure. I am moving FORWARD. I have to go through what I have to go trough, but I'm not going to stop and whine about "failures" because they can't stop me unless I allow them to. The Forward Energy comes from the fact that I am doing what I really want to do, and I accept the fact that rough days are a part of life. I believe in my dreams, and I know that one bad day will not de-rail them. Set backs are temporary. My dreams are forever.

Following is an email I sent to Connie the other day, and her reply. I'm including this to illustrate an example of what setting the little goals and focusing on them rather than what "I should do" has done for me.

Connie,
I just wanted to tell you of yet another success.
First , When I was thinking about what to make as a Christmas Card this year, I was overwhelmed. I had some on hand, very cute ones, that I had purchased last year 1/2 off after Christmas. I decided that even though I'm a paper crafts professional and teach others how to do make cards and scrapbook, I didn't have to send handmade cards this year - I would use the ones I ALREADY HAD. It was a major Peace moment.
Second, I chopped my card sending goal into very manageable chunks. When I got started this morning on this weeks goal, I was just buzzing right along. I had just wanted to print out the letters, and start addressing envelopes this week. Everything fell into place and I ended up doing much more that I thought I'd be able to accomplish this week. More than half are already MAILED. My goal was to mail them sometime next week. I attribute my energy to the fact that it was something I wanted to do, rather than something I "should" do. The energy that I have reaped in setting small goals, rather than focusing on "shoulds" is unbelievable to me. Unbelievable.
Happy Day to you!
Abby C



Hi Abby,

I am so happy for you!! Don't you love that feeling, when it clicks, and that concept now becomes a reality in your life, because you see the fruits and you say, wow, this really works!

I am so proud of you for not just becoming aware of the principles, but to actually act on them in your life. That's when the domino effect goes into motion and that's when you really start changing, mind and soul. You have done a fabulous job of being aware, then acting on that impression or thought. That's so powerful, and so life-changing.

Keep up the fabulous work, insights and paradigm shifts. You are not just helping change your life, but those around you. People become empowered by the positive and bold choices of others. Kudos to you for making good things happen in your life!

All my best,
Connie

Connie Sokol
President, LIFEChange
info@lifechangeprogram.com
801.787.4910

That was a lot of reading, and I hope it was useful. More Questions? Want to go to the event at Thanksgiving Point? Email me!

3 comments:

EarlGirl said...

I just saw your comment on Kim's blog. Imagine my surprise, we have a friend in common! This forward energy looks interesting.

Abby said...

Actually, I saw Kim's comment on YOUR blog, and went to HER blog to throw her a lifeline. So, in a way, you introduced us. I hope to call both of you my friends for a long time to come.

Kim said...

Thanks for sharing all of that!! I'm definitely going over to the site and checking it out. I'm in Washington and wish I was closer to the events. I tried looking at the calendar for events closer to home but there wasn't anything listed at all. They must be in the middle of getting things updated for next year. Its exciting that you've come so far this year. I read Sink Reflections this last year and it made me feel a bit of what your explaining. Same type principles. I love your list and really do need to sit down and look into this more, I've always been one to do New Year's Resolutions and this will help a bunch.