Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Thursday, December 27, 2007

Little A's Second Birthday

A's middle name is Hope. It is fitting. You know that song that goes, "I got sunshine. . .on a cloudy day. . .When it's cold outside, I got the month of May." The last couple of years have been like that. She was born on a cold December day, and from the moment she came into our lives, a warmth like summer sunshine has blessed every single day. She is happy and fun-loving. She is playful and sweet. She loves new shoes but would rather go barefoot in the house.
A loves dogs. Loves Loves Loves Dogs! My sister has a Jack Russell Terrier. We were all together on Christmas Eve, and when my sister was ready to go home she asked A if she'd like to go with her. A was resolute. She reached out for my sister and waved goodbye to me, a huge smile on her face. We were all a bit confused, until she started motioning for the dog to come. Everything then became quite clear, I mean - who needs a Mom, when you can have a dog? Not A. Unfortunately for A, my sister wasn't exactly serious - she didn't think A would be willing to go. Her home is equipped for one baby - and that is her dog Lucy. For Christmas we got her a soft puppy and a soft doll. She carried around the dog - until her sister unwrapped the plastic doll, and then we had to find her a plastic doll so that she could be like E. (Being like her older siblings is where it's at for A at the moment.) Left to herself, she carries around the dog.
Since I'm not ready for a dog at my house, today we are taking A to a place where they can "make a best friend" for her - complete with a bark. I hate to say it, but from the moment the thought crossed my mind I knew it was all we needed to worry about for her birthday. I've been more excited about taking her there than anything else we've been planning - and we're talking Christmas here. I was excited about Christmas, I really was. I was just MORE excited to take my baby to get a "dog" - to let her choose, and hear it bark, and see her happy little face.
That's right. "I got sunshine. . ."

No comments: