Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Tuesday, September 11, 2007

Thoughts about Grandma

My Grandmother will be 90 years old in a little over a month. Here are some thoughts I wrote down about her today:

As a small child, I used to run straight to the Northwest corner of Grandma's living room. That's where she kept the "toys". As I grew, I loved so many things about Grandma's house. Her lovely garden was always a springboard for my imagination, and the fruits and vegetables filled up more than our stomachs. With Evan's farm so close, we also had hours of fun feeding cows and calves. Grandma often gave us small baby food jars filled with cream to shake into butter. There were long country roads to walk. There were stories of childhoods long gone: ponds, cousins and horse draw buggies and sleds. As I have added my own childhood to those in the stories, I have also enjoyed watching my own children run for the toys in the Northwest corner, visit baby cows, and walk on those roads. There isn't anyplace sweeter to me than my Grandmother's house. In my memories, her garden beds will always be filled with irises and snapdragons. There will always be pots upon pots overflowing with Geraniums. There will always be raspberries and long string beans. She will always have a crochet project next to her comfy chair and there will always be a smile on her face. Most importantly, I know that in each day of her life, there is a testimony of the gospel for me to draw on and a love of the Lord that I can emulate and pass to my children and grandchildren as humbly as she has given it to me.

No comments: