Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Monday, September 17, 2007

Family

D's parents have moved to St. George - a city within 4 hours of us. His brother has lived in Las Vegas for the last 3 years. Prior to this, both families lived on the East Coast, and visits with them were infrequent. I've really enjoyed spending time with our sister-in-law (M) over the past couple of years. She and I share some similar life experiences which adds a depth of understanding and compassion to our relationship. It's nice to finally have a chance to develop that relationship, and to be friends. D's brother's children are older than ours by a few years on the long end. His twin girls were born only a couple of months before T was born. They are very sweet and caring with our children. Patient, interested and fun to be with, our brood loves to visit with them. Like most brothers, D and his sibling have existing issues. In general, as adults, everyone has learned to behave and we can enjoy the time we have together. The visit this time was for the specific purpose of celebrating D's mother's birthday with her - something we haven't been able to do for 10 years. It was wonderful. Every bit of it. M is a fantastic cook, a stunningly good hostess. She thinks of special things that fly over my head like a flock of birds. (I haven't even begun the beginner's hostess course.) She nails the role, and then thanks us for coming, in a most sincere tone. I honestly haven't seen D's mom and dad that relaxed in a long time. I think that it has been very good for them. I believe that it is going to be very good for us, too. The sad part is, that in the rush to get ready, I forgot the birthday cards. I need to get some belated birthday and thank you cards out for Mom, the twins and M. I may not be a good hostess but I can be a good guest. I can make cards - and I better get to it. A little more refining and polishing never hurt anyone, especially me.

No comments: