Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Tuesday, October 30, 2007

Planting

In late spring I bought four bags of soil and a bale of peat moss. I fully intended to put them right out into the yard when I arrived home. The lack of flower beds was tiresome to me, I love to see flowers blooming everywhere. We have an abundance of grass, and one little area by the front door which from time to time will allow a flower to grow. It's a nice sized bed, probably about 8 feet by 10 feet, but there's not much soil. Mostly, it grows rocks. I'm sure that they are multiplying - there seem to be more of them every time I try to dig. As far as the soil I purchased goes, it stayed in the garage all summer.
The other day, I was driving around and I had the strangest thought cross my mind. "You need to plant some bulbs." Of all flowers, they are my favorite. I love watching tulips and daffodils come up in the spring. So, yes, I enjoy the flowers - I wanted to plant some. I hadn't purchased any yet, however. I wasn't sure what I wanted. It was just odd to me - "You need to plant some bulbs." Well this morning, my mother called. She had just purchased to big bags of bulbs, one of tulips and one of daffodils, and wanted us to come plant half at her house and take the rest home. That certainly took care of the "what to plant". With lots of hands, (the kids all helped), the work was done quickly. When we got home, I dragged out the soil and peat moss and dumped it in a pile between the two window wells in the front. The bulbs were planted in no time, with the help of my three youngest children. We put most of them in that new flower bed, with one small group near the door. I want to toss some seeds into both of the beds, too. Some Shasta Daisies would be nice. Maybe some Cosmos. I have a lot of seed that I've kept through the years. This is the perfect time to throw them down. It's such a nice surprise when things start to sprout in the springtime. I never had better flower beds than the ones I seeded in the fall. As I recall, I planted those beds in response to a similar prompting. Sometimes things don't grow the way I'd like them to but one thing that is absolutely sure - If nothing is planted, nothing will grow. I'm not sure right now why I needed to plant. It may have to do how wonderful they'll look in the spring. It may be the experience my children had. At any rate, I may never know exactly why - but I needed to plant some bulbs. And now I have. Maybe someday I'll know why.

No comments: