Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Sunday, October 28, 2007

Parents know everything

I always loved my parents. I thought they were perfect. It was kind amazing to me when as an adult, I realized that they were just people. They were admittedly very good people who had made many good choices and serious commitments to themselves and to their God about how the would raise their children. It today's world, they are a miracle. Growing up in that family was more than just a blessing, it was the greatest gift I received as a child and a person. I think everyone of us six girls would agree. We are still very close as a family, no one is estranged regardless of the choices that we as the daughters have made. I think that one of the most difficult things for parents is the recognition and acceptance of the fact that their children are not perfect and that they will make mistakes like anyone else. We have made mistakes. My parents have been amazing through everything. My mother is an astonishing example of love, faith and patience. My father was not kidding when he said that he married an angel. She may not be perfect, but there isn't much holding her back. Having five children of my own, I recognize that deeply now. I recognize how incredibly strong she was when my Dad was out to sea for months or a year at a time, (he was a Navy Chaplain). She never let us down. She kept her commitments. We were a family, and she was the head at those times. Life for us was the same - we missed Dad, but that was nothing compared to what Mom must have felt. I'm sure she mourned his empty chair each day until he returned. Speaking of my Dad, he never let us down, either. He was, of necessity, physically absent for a while from time to time, but I don't ever recall seeing my mother cry because of him, ever. He cherishes my mother, and we all know it. The only times I remember him really getting upset was when we showed disrespect for my mother. I daresay there aren't many people in the world, unfortunately, that can claim that about their father. Of course as a teen, I was pretty sure that they were out of touch. My mom sewed way more of our clothes than I thought was really smart to admit. And sometimes, my Dad would wear a turquoise shirt with these light yellow pants. We were so embarrassed. You could see the shirt through the pants. I mean seriously. What could be more embarrassing to a teen than being seen in public with your father while he was wearing that? Oh. It was miserable - from a "coolness" standpoint. You know, though, I sensed something about them even then that I know to be true today. They provided an ideal environment for the growth and nurture of young human beings. They were, and still are, amazing. I value their opinions and guidance more now than ever. I will honestly never feel bad that my children love their grandparents so much. If I could, I'd go right back to that awkward stage (you know, the most painful time for a young person in their growing years). I'd soak up all the love and watch them even more carefully with my own children in mind. I'd probably see that I'm doing better than I think I am. I believe that I'm ready to accept the sentence I see coming in the very near future. "Mother of a teenage son." It is inevitable, and I hope to see him through every painful minute. I don't think I'll spend too awfully much of my time worrying about whether or not I'm embarrassing to him. I am what I am. There will be turquoise shirt and yellow pants moments, to be sure - at least from his perspective. But, he'll know that I love him. He probably won't understand how much until much later in his life, but that's fine. Like watching a glorious sunset, and realizing what a beautiful day it had been, I think that's the way it's supposed to be.

No comments: