Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Saturday, October 6, 2007

Diggers and . . .what?!?

The main road leading from the freeway into our neighborhood is under construction. Half of its width is blocked off and completely torn up. There are large orange cones and barrels everywhere along with a plethora of men and large machinery. As we turned onto this road, from the rear of the vehicle I hear from the most unlikely of sources, a warning. My son Q, who is not afraid of anything (except being away from me, specifically and only, when he needs to go to bed) called out, "Be careful, Mom!" I responded quickly, wanting to encourage this burst of caution consciousness. "Yes, Q! We need to be very careful. There are big orange cones and and diggers, and men working everywhere." Just as spontaneously he replies, ". . . and hookers!" Obviously, my instant reaction was uncontrollable uproarious laughter, over a very long, extended period of time. After I regained my composure, I realized that he must have been talking about one of the other large piece of equipment, and yes, there in front of us a big red crane truck with a nice shiny hook. Diggers and Hookers. These are very important things in the world of my four year old son. Someday, when he's much older, I will tell him this story and he will laugh for a long long time. Until then, I will grateful for each innocent day and the joy of a child still untouched by the world he lives in.

No comments: