Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Sunday, October 12, 2008

Finally, something they will all EAT!

"Mom, I totally love this and I am not kidding." 

That's what my 12 year old said at dinner tonight. I was elated. This is not an easy child to please, when it comes to food anyway. The kids made me promise to make it every time I don't have to work on Sunday,df all winter long. That's a deal, because besides being tasty - it's simple!

Chicken and Dumplings in the Crock pot

4 to 5 frozen chicken breast straight to the crock pot. (See, EASY!)
Cover with 6 cups water & 3 Chicken bullion cubes (or Chicken broth - you could make this low salt if you are sodium sensitive).
Sprinkle in: (I just took one good pass across the entire surface of the water) 
Sliced dehydrated garlic cloves
Montreal Steak Seasoning
Costco's salt free poultry seasoning
Cook on high a few hours then add:
1 1/2 to 2 lbs. mini carrots

Prepare dumplings ahead of time, refrigerate and add the last hour before you plan to serve

Dumplings:
2 cups flour
4 tsp. baking powder
2 tsp. melted butter
1 tsp. salt (I used ground sea salt)
1 egg, beaten
3/4 cup milk

Not all of my culinary experiments are this successful. In fact there have only been a handful. This one certainly qualifies however. The other dinner time comments tonight were:
"This is the best soup in the world!"
"Can we have this every day?"
"More Tarrots!"
"It's delicious!"

I guess it might as well be Mother's Day, huh?


No comments: