Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Tuesday, October 28, 2008

And then some.

This was my day off.

It wasn't in the least bit restful. This morning I headed down to IKEA to pick a TV stand up for my sister. It had already been sold, sad for sis. Q got to be in the play area, however, which he loved. I was able to find what I was looking for in the form of a lamp. I also got a few inexpensive clocks for the living room - and that room is finally starting to feel like a place to be reckoned with. Niiiiiice.

After that, I dropped Q off at kindergarten. Before leaving home, I made arrangements to pick up some contact lenses from the Costco by my Mom's. I went to get those and then headed for the early voting. It was obvious to me by the number of cars parked along the curb, and people walking toward the building that the wait would be far too long. I went home, unloaded all of my goodies and looked up the other locations. There happened to be another along the route back to Q's school, so I stopped there, telling myself that if there was any line at all, I couldn't stop. The parking lot was far from full, and there was no line. I voted and made it to Q's school right on time. That was the real miracle of the day. I went in to pick up Q and noticed that parent teacher conferences were coming up, called my boss for my work schedule next week, and set up a time. On the way to E's school, I called to have her meet me out front at their PT conference sign up tables. I also called T to find out where he was en route so that I could pick him up. The conference times for C & E were during my work hours next week, so I called D and asked if they would work for him and he will be attending their PT conferences.

As I was running around, it occurred to me that we already had crock pot roasted chicken breasts in refrigerator so I warmed them and made some mashed potatoes and heated up some green beans. (We ate just in time for Grandpa to arrive to finish repainting the outside trims around our doors and Garage door. I don't know what my favorite thing is, the new sprayer at the sink & water line to the ice maker in the refrigerator that D put in, or the new paint around the doors. Suffice it to say that these things have all been pleasant changes and I am very very happy for all of them.) As I suspected, the time together was very short, but it was good.

At six I arrived at the home of a couple downtown. I only made one wrong turn, but it worked out okay in the end. We checked everything over and I made a number of suggestions. We went to a couple of stores, and found some amazing glass pieces that will be fabulous in their bedroom. It was really fun, and thankfully they are on a really similar plane when it comes to my suggestions. That makes everything easier.

When I got home, I got the boys to bed - for some reason, the girls wouldn't go. They watched me change the light bulbs - in the process I found a couple more that needed changing. It is really nice to have that done. Other than that, I did not one whit of housework. I have quite a bit of house work and design work ahead of me this week. It's okay, though. It was a very
happy and productive "day off".

2 comments:

Lara said...

Hang in there! I can't imagine how hard this transition has been for you and your family. You seem to be getting along really well! I would love to bring you dinner some night or do anything for you that would help, so give me a call! I didn't know you were doing some design on the side, that is wonderful! I am glad you are getting some clients.

EarlGirl said...

Oh my gosh! Just reading about your day gives me a headache! May your next day off include time curled up with a book and lots of chocolate!