Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Thursday, June 12, 2008

Hella.


My baby, A, is O-B-S-E-S-S-E-D with Cinderella. From her tiny lips, it's "Hella" this and "Hella" that - but there is no mistaking what she means by that. We have a book of Disney Princess stories that I got for E a couple of years ago. A carries it around, perusing "Hella's" story a few times a day. Every chance she gets, she'll sit quietly and watch the entire movie. Once in a while she'll say something like, "Funny" or "I wuff it, mama." (For those not speaking my baby's lingo - that's "I love it . . ." Her favorite part of the story is when Cinderella brings the glass slipper out of her pocket. She made me stop the first time I read that part to her. We had quite a conversation about "pot-its" and how great it was that "Hella" had a shoe in her "pot-it". I'm pretty sure that she was thinking something like, "Wow! So shoes come from pockets! I had no I idea! I wonder when I'm going to find shoes in my pockets!" Why am I so sure? Well, my dearest little one is also very shoe obsessed, and dog obsessed - which sheds a little more light on why she is so "Hella" obsessed. This story has it all: dogs, shoes, pretty dresses and pumpkins that turn into transportation. (I don't think she cares much about the prince at this point, and I'm okay with that.) I did just mention the pretty dresses, though, didn't I. Part of her obsession has to do with a Cinderella costume that E got for her fifth birthday. All I need say is that it is sometimes a struggle to get if off of A - it must be washed from time to time. I make her wear clothes underneath - but she can ignore that, as long as I immediately put "Hella" back on. Great Grandma thinks I might be just a little off my rocker - a child always dressing in a costume. On the other hand, it's just so darned adorable. I'm pretty sure that I am off my rocker, at least a little bit. I just can't help it. Watching her run around the house in that get-up makes my day. She is a little princess, and I'm glad that she knows it. It's good to have a sense of your own worth and I don't think she has over estimated herself one tiny bit. She is such a bright spot of sunshine. She makes every day worth living just to know I'm going to get a big hug and kiss from her somewhere along the way.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I'd be wearing my Hella costume RIGHT NOW if I could. (It's currently at the cobbler's having shoes installed.)

Angie said...

Years ago, my mom had this cross-stitched poem in one of our rooms. I stole it, because I wanted it in my baby girl's room. It got lost among moves somewhere along the way and I just found it. CE saw it and said "can I have this in my room?" with great glee. Oh yes! that was the whole point. I have had the poem memorized for a long time. I think A has exactly the right idea: "I am a child of royal birth. My father is king of heaven and earth. My spirit was born in the courts on high. A child beloved, a princess am I."

EarlGirl said...

How sweet! I'll never forget the entire summer my oldest was Darth Maul. I should have never let him see the movie! He would make this horrible monster face and growl whenever he was spoken to. Embarrassing.

Marci said...

What a little cutie! You are blessed to have a "bright spot of sunshine" in your life.