Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Monday, June 16, 2008

Adventuring in the unknown.

I think it's pretty safe to make an announcement now, since I'm going in tomorrow morning to talk to my new manager about the job details. I have to say that I am completely floored at what I am about to announce. Despite that, however, I just keep getting that "where I'm supposed to be" feeling -  and it is truly the only thing that has presented itself as a viable option. I am going to be working at Z Gallerie in The Gateway.
I've been putting applications in since April. I've had a few interviews, tested for a couple of Temporary Employment companies. I did fabulously, but there just hasn't seemed to be anything for me. I had been looking for clerical work because I hadn't been able to find anything in Interior Design, which is my degree field.
So this is how it went. Last Wednesday, I went down to the Apple store with my computer because it was crashing a lot. (Apples don't generally crash a lot, you know?) While they were working on it, I went into Z Gallerie to check it out - I had never been in the store before. As it turned out, they were looking for people - and I really did like the store, so I took an application and figured maybe I'd fill it out later. After checking on the computer, I had another half hour to wait, so I decided to go back, fill out the application and turn it in. Friday afternoon the manager called wondering when I could come in for an interview. We set that up for Saturday night, because that was the soonest I'd be available. (My family was in Bear Lake over the weekend.) They had me come in today for a "working interview" which was mainly just to see how I felt about talking to people. It was fun. I'm sure I'll get the hang of what to say and do in time - but I really enjoyed myself. I like helping people. The manager asked me to come in tomorrow morning (7:30 a.m.) so that we could sit down and sort out all the details. 
On the way home, I wondered what the universe was bringing to me in the form of this job. I thought about how far from my original plan it was - and still how good I feel about it. It is absolutely crazy how I ended up here, but I'm grateful for the opportunity to learn new things and work in "my field". Most of the places I talked to were looking for past retail experience more than a degree. This place was very willing to accept me as I am, pays what I need to be paid - with bonuses rather than commission - and because of the road I've been on, I recognize the blessing of simply having a job. Feeling that it is the best place for me right now helps me lay aside my worries about the schedule and my inadequacies. One other funny side note, Dr. Laura was telling someone just about the same things today. Sometimes doors close and doors open but we are so busy pounding on the closed door that we don't even think to go through the open door. I felt so great about that. I was thinking to myself that at that very moment I was walking through that open door, ready for the gifts the universe was bringing me. That felt great, it felt healthy, it was a confirmation of my own feelings and the action I was taking. It feels amazing to be moving in a direction - even if it is completely different from what I imagined. That's what adventure is all about right? 

11 comments:

Lara said...

Congrats Abby! I love Z gallerie. I have actually bought quite a few things there. It is a fabulous store. I tend to like it even better than pottery barn. I am so happy for you!

Annie said...

I LOVE Z Galery. I was just in there on Saturday. I will definately look forward to meeting you on my next trip, which will be sooner than later. Congratulations Abby!

Angie said...

Yeah! Fabulous. Since I'm a bit out of the way from that store, I haven't been there, but it looks like you'd fit in well there. I hope this all works as you need it to. Once again, yeah!

The Lund Five said...

Congratulations! I am glad that you found something. You will be really good at that. I have never been to Z gallerie before, but I will have to go and check it out sometime!

Anonymous said...

Congratulations, Abby! It would see that like the great Douglas Adams, "I seldom end up where I wanted to go, but almost always end up where I need to be."

Tennille said...

What a wonderfully surprising thing to have happen! Congrats!

Autumn & Chris said...

Congrat's Abby-
Hope things go really well for you there. I love that place. Funny how "things" just work out.

NH Yocal said...

Congrats to you. That is awesome when things just happen to work out seamlessly!

Anonymous said...

Abby, I just got teared up at the end of this post! You were put in contact with the right people at the right time! Take a deep breath and smile!

Shannon said...

I am so glad you found something that you will enjoy as well. You will be terrific there!
Love,
Shannon

The Garden Maiden said...

Abby, You left a comment on my blog post "Reflections of Christ" back in April and I am just getting around to following up on your comment. Thank you for your kind words. And good luck on your new job! There is so much peace when you feel that heavenly confirmation that you are in the right place, for whatever reason, some reasons you never really understand completely. God Bless!