Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Tuesday, February 6, 2007

Decorating Sense

We've been here in our home for just a bit over 3 months. D and I both have Bachelor's degrees in Design - he did Graphic and I did Interior. Honestly, D has been far more influential on my style than any of my college courses were. He has very strong opinions about how things should look, and loves modern design. I could have gone in any number of directions, but D had a firm and determined course. I love our style, it is practical family meets high style modern, with a little exotic tossed in for spice. We found a way to keep our design senses happy, and still allow children near the furnishings. Personally, I think that's important, since they'll spend far more time kicking back on the couch than I will. But that's beside the point. We've been here for three months, and the general decor is taking shape.
When we moved in, I mentioned to D that I was just going to wait for each room to tell me what it wanted to be. So far, that's been a very effective plan. Most of the time, I sit down with someone and all of their favorite paint choices and help them to choose wisely. I've always tried to encourage people to put themselves into their environment rather than to impose my own taste upon them. I like to help people to discover what suits them, and help them to get it. In my own home, I have to do that with myself. Last week I had a real epiphany. For whatever reason, I usually get ideas for the bathrooms first. This time was no exception. When we first moved in, I imagined our bath retreat in light aqua and sunny sandy yellow. Slowly but surely, it started bringing up new options - and finally, the unifying idea was born. Some blue and white pottery I collected years ago was the final piece in the initial puzzle. I had a wonderful childhood which included a year with my family in Japan. I have never known a happier time. I was ten years old, and very aware of the cultural differences I saw. Many of the images stayed with me, and almost all of them are very positive and happy. The bathroom wanted to be a happy place, reminding me of that time in Japan. Growing up is difficult, and adulthood can be nearly unbearable at times. My youthful fantasies of blissful family life and marriage are gone. I'm living in reality now. My bath, however, can stay in that happy beautiful foreign and innocent place where I once was - and it can take me back there all day long. I'm excited for the rest of these rooms to throw in their two cents, and teach me at once about my present, and my past.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Interior design! Suddenly I see myself begging for your guidance in the upcoming months when (okay IF) our house ever sells. Haven't found a new place yet, so I'd really appreciate any thoughts you have on how to make a box under the freeway seem "homey."

We must get together sometime to discuss Japan. I love that place.