Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Time to wash the suit, Superdude

Like most close to four year olds, my son Q enjoys repetition. This week it has been Superman. Watching Superman while wearing Superman jammies - day and night - has been his quest. If you know many four year olds, you get why this could be a problem. Normally he would protest anything that didn't meet his exacting standards. If Q gets something on his clothing - even water - it has to come off immediately. For some reason, the same rule doesn't apply to this particular pair of jammies. It has been a challenge to keep it clean. If it is in the dirty clothes basket, even for a good reason, he goes looking for it and puts it right on when he finds it. He wore it yesterday, last night and has every intention of wearing it today, too. This is one of those things that I know I will never figure out. I'll just have to keep teaching the correct principle and hope that he learns to govern himself appropriately by the time he's out of the house. Come to think of it, however, I'm still teaching the "wear different (clean) clothing each day to my 8 and 11 year old boys, too. I have no trouble with E on this issue. Finding new things to wear each day is akin to playing dress-up and at six, she is right there in the zone. I know there's a long road ahead of me with these boys, but I'm fairly sure that it comes with the territory. Knowing that sometimes makes all the difference in my ability to cope with any particular oddity. Normal. Yes Normal. Moving on. Wash the suit, superdude.

No comments: