Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Sunday, January 28, 2007

Little Q does in his Mother

Church is not a fun place to take Q. Having him at home isn't much fun most of the time, but church? Today, I finally did what I have been threatening to do for a little while. I brought him home, and put him in his bed. He kicked and screamed (for his Daddy) the entire way. We only live about a block from the chapel, so it wasn't far to walk but it was still the longest block of my life. Most of the way I was near tears, of frustration, and generally wondering whether I could actually succeed in raising this child. At least now, he knows that if he doesn't behave, he will be turned on his heels and marched right back out the door.
For some reason, he's quiet now. The battle of wills has ended and I guess he's worn out. I sure am. Speaking of quiet, he was at my mother's last Thursday. D called me from work and the first thing he said was, "Wow, you are in a really good mood." It was true. My mood was excellent. I had energy to spare. I didn't feel like I was running an entire household with 90% of my neurons tied behind my back. I was relaxed. I felt up to the tasks at hand. It was joyous, and quiet. I would never have guessed that one little boy could turn a home so much on its head, but that's my Q. When people telephone to our home, and Q in not here they almost always comment, "It's so quiet over there today." When I mention the absence of Q, there is a knowing, "OOOOOOH!" Like, "Of course - I should have known that."
My oldest, T, was much like Q when he was little: Very Very Busy, and prone to mischief. No book on child care contained anything of value to me. T did not respond like most children, and that was about all I could figure out. Finally, I did find a book that seemed to pinpoint my little boy - and I rejoiced. He grew, and grew - he's nearly as tall as I am. We are still looking for the things that he will love, and pour himself into, but he is a great kid and it is obvious that he has potential. He's loving and helpful. It gives me hope. T was a wild child, but he doesn't have much on Q when it comes to determination to see his will accomplished.
There are no boundaries in the world of Q. He is invincible. Somehow, I managed to come off the conqueror today, but I know it's just the battle. It is so important to train him now, because at some point - I will have to turn him loose on the world. He WILL have to be able to survive on his own, and that means self-control. I really only know one thing - three year olds grow, and so do eleven year olds. My time with them is limited. Thankfully, I still have many many years to work with Q, and with the rest of my children, too. We may be fairly unique, as a family. It will be interesting to see, someday, what these 5 very unique people offer to the world. I think that it will be something great.

No comments: