Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Tuesday, January 23, 2007

Little A saves her known universe

Little A, we share an initial but not a name, is feeling much better. Her natural happiness is so buoyant, it lifts the whole house up just a smidgen closer to heaven. She's only a year old, and very independent in my reckoning, but only in the best way. She loves to be cuddled and held, but is happy exploring her universe as well. Yesterday, she did a lot of exploring. As I went from room to room, she peeked in cabinets and under beds, into washers of all kinds and closets wherever she could find one. Most unfortunately, her favorite place to look for treasures is the kitchen waste basket. Always something new and exciting in there. Often, there is food - which she finds thrilling. Speaking of food, she prizes cookies of any kind. She fell asleep on my lap with a cookie in each hand yesterday. I couldn't bear to put her down, she was so cute - face and hands covered with chocolate cookie crumbs.
What do I love about A? I think that it has to be her muppet smile. She opens her mouth so wide, she could probably get her fist into it - and yet no teeth are showing. The top lip is completely straight, and her bottom lip forms a perfect half circle. Her eyes sparkle and without a word she says, "Boy am I happy to see YOU!" It happens all day long, when she's feeling well, and it is a blessing to everyone. She is the smallest in our home, and every one of the rest of us would do anything to please her, and catch a glimpse of that smile. This could lead to her becoming spoiled, I'm sure. I am fairly determined that this should not be the case, however. I tell her no. For example, I don't let her use the cleaning supplies underneath the sink as toys - although she desperately wants to, and tries to every time I open the cabinet. I also don't allow her to forage in the waste basket, and she does not appreciate that. She'll thank me later. I insist on changing her diapers, too - even though she feels it cuts into her play time.
So what has she done to save her universe? She came to it, and stayed with us even though we are not nearly perfect enough to care for her. I am fairly sure, the way I know that Q had a stint as the Angel of Destruction, that A also had a special job to do. I think that job had something to do with lightening the heart of the Almighty. She has unbelievable skills, and I am humbled by that. Someone on high knew that we needed her, and was willing to let her go so that we could be lifted.

No comments: