Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Monday, January 22, 2007

Tsunami

Is it possible for a brain to explode? Sometimes living with my children feels like being dragged under by a Tsunami of emotion. One of my biggest challenges is finding a way to teach my children to manage their emotions rather than being managed by their emotions, and as an extension trying to manipulate others with emotion. When my own frustration level is through the roof. . .and I do wonder sometimes if, from the outside, the house does actually appear to be shaking. . .it can be the ultimate challenge to maintain control over my own emotions. E, my 5 year old daughter, has been trying for about a year now to perfect the use of repetition in the pursuit of her desires. C, my 8 year old son, finds that wailing as though he were about to die - anytime there is a perceived injustice - to be his preferred form of self-expression. T, 11 year old son, has developed skills with anger and general lack of volume control. Q at three years old has mastered all of these, and adds to them the unconquerable spirit of "I am the undisputed ruler of this domain." A is only a year old, but her flair for the dramatic is impressive. Finding herself disappointed, she has been known to fall to the ground limbs flopping this way and that like limp noodles. It is rare that all of them find one single moment to unleash their particular emotional talents - but it has been known to happen. And so I ask, "Is it possible for a brain to explode?

No comments: