Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Thursday, May 29, 2008

Spectacular Sky

On Monday we were on the road to my parents home for little Memorial Day get together, when Q (now 5) called out, "Mom, there's two skies!" I looked up to see what he meant, and was astounded by what I saw. It had been raining and the sky was covered in thick dark clouds. I hadn't imagined that they would pass. It had seemed that we were in for a cloudy day - I hadn't thought much of it. For the first time in my life, however, I saw a thick mass of dark clouds, a very defined end to those clouds, followed by a perfectly blue, sun shining fluffy cloud floating spring day as far as the eye could see. It was amazing to me because, you know, ususally you'll see the clouds starting to break up, a little blue poking through here and there, and then some sun. That day, however, the "two skies" were right there together and it was a striking contrast. It seemed profound to me, I feel that way about my life. Exactly that way. There has been a dark mass of clouds hanging over us for a long time, but the end to those clouds is in sight and beyond them, the sky is fine and lovely, the sun is shining. Storms will always be a part of life. It's nice to know that they don't last forever.

3 comments:

Kim said...

Love all your thoughts Abby. Thanks!!

fivekidsandsomechocolate said...

Great description and analogy!

Annie said...

You are a blogger supreme! I love your analogy. It is very true that we can have joy and pain at the same time. Just wait till one of your kids gets married and you will see that up close and personal:) Stay hopeful.