Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Friday, May 23, 2008

T's thumb is actually broken

A week and a half ago at Young Men's, they were playing games, and Turner came home complaining of a jammed thumb. He was still complaining yesterday, and having such a difficult time writing and doing homework that I figured we had better get him seen. I took him over to InstaCare, where they did a number of x-rays and found what they thought was a fracture at the base of his thumb. They put him into a temporary brace, and said they'd call back today after the radiologist had had a chance to look at it. The Radiologist felt that there was indeed a fracture - and that we needed to see the bone doctors. Crazy times. So, I'll be calling to get that appointment fairly soon, and I may set up an appointment for myself at the same time to have them check my wrists - just in case. One is much better, but the other still gives me more trouble than I think it ought to. We'll see. In the meantime, my boy is broken, but doing well. It is the second time he's had a major injury (the first time, a burn) in that area of his hand. I find that very interesting, but I'm like that.
In all the other areas, I'm hanging in there. It's still a roller coaster - just a different kind that depends a lot on things that I can't control . . . I'm learning a lot about faith, patience and trust. I never knew I had so much to learn. That in and of itself is very humbling, because I then realize how very far out in front of me the road extends . . .and it is a long one. The great thing about allowing the Lord to run the show is the acknowledgement that I really have NO CLUE what he is leading me to: Why is that a good thing? Well, the reason that is a good thing has everything to do with the understanding that only He can get me to that place, because only He knows where it is. It is the same reason that "spinning and toiling" won't get me any closer to it. All I need to do is follow the Spirit, day to day, and I will eventually arrive at that place He has prepared for me. It is miraculous. He has promised me that it will be wonderful, and so I will trust, and wait and believe . . . and do the work He gives me each day.

2 comments:

Marci said...

That's the right attitude! I hope great things are to come for you. And I am sure you will become stronger along the way.

Sorry to hear about Turner's thumb! Robb broke his a few years ago - and it is not fun at all.

Hang in there!!

Anonymous said...

Abby, you are one smart capable chick! Keep going! It will all fit together, fear not. I'm sure lots of people have said, "Have you thought about...." Here's mine, what about being a Pharmacy Tech. The hrs are flexible, the benefits & pay are good, esp. @ Costco. You remain in my heart, sister.