Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Friday, February 8, 2008

Who's in charge, here?

My Q, even on a good day - which means that yesterday he really didn't cause any nearly overwhelming problems for me, the boy's got spunk. I was making lunch for him. I didn't make him wait or give him any excuses about finishing anything up first. I was there for the boy, you know? For some reason, however, he didn't like the fact that I needed to clean a pan before I began to cook. He didn't like the fact that I wiped some things off of the counter before I got out the eggs. (That's what he likes, eggs for lunch.) He got this exasperated look on his face and bellowed, "I'm in charge in this house, now get to work!" Then he smiled. He said that a couple of times. What a kid. He believes it, too. If there is anything I know about my child, he is large and in charge. He doesn't like to be thwarted by adult opinions. He is very confident. Unfortunately, I'm sure he picked up that line from me. I don't like getting drawn into power struggles, but it's not easily avoided with Q. The need to assert my motherhood over his childhood happens frequently during our days together. I don't consider that uncommon, I'm sure that's a normal kind of experience in the realm of mothering. Three of my five children directly challenge authority at every turn, one ignores authority, one is too young to categorize. In my world, that works out to 'normal'. I am definitely in charge, but I have to remember that I will be challenged and/or ignored at every turn. It's really not something I choose to get upset about. Sometimes, when I make a request, one of them will jump up and run to get it done. Sometimes, they will give me a big hug and say "I love you, Mom" before they run to their work. Sometimes, they will do things without being asked. Sometimes, I feel like I am truly in charge here - I just try not to let it go to my head.

1 comment:

EarlGirl said...

I hate it sometimes when I hear my own words coming out of little mouths. Unless it's particularly witty. I don't mind that.