Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Monday, February 18, 2008

"Knock, Knock. . ."

This post actually starts about a week ago. My children are currently out of school for a few weeks, and we were lounging a bit last Monday morning before starting the day. Everyone was in my bed and the older boys were telling Knock Knock jokes. It was fun - even though, honestly - until that moment I probably would have placed Knock Knock jokes high on my "most hated" list. The funniest part of all was that A, our two year old, figured out the rhythm and started to "tell jokes." This is how it would go. . .
"Not Not. . ."
"Ooos Dare?"
followed by completely unintelligible baby babble for a few seconds and loads of laughter.
She loved it. So did we of course, and we got a huge kick out of how much fun she was having.

So, about one week passes. For some reason the boys start telling knock knock jokes again last night. This time, however, I am prepared. There is this one particular joke that just cracks them up, and it is a staple.
It goes like this:
"Knock, Knock. . ."
"Who's There?"
"Interrupting Cow."
"Interrupting Cow W. . ."
"MOOOOO!"

I have to admit, the first time, they totally had me. They got to interrupt rudely and everyone laughed a great deal. This time, being not unintelligent, and knowing what was coming. . . I said "Interrupting Cow Who?" so quickly that even my twelve year old son was completely caught off guard. (I know at least he thought that was impossible.) He couldn't finish his joke, and that was the best joke of all. The look on his face was priceless! From then on, the boys just said "Moo!" to each other no matter what the other was saying. It had us all rolling on the kitchen floor - well, not literally - for about 15 minutes.

All in all, in the last seven days I'd say we've had about 30 minutes of pure joy from Knock Knock jokes. They are not on my most hated list any more. In fact, I'd say that at least a few of those jokes have jumped right into the "fond memory" category which totally trumps the most hated list. I will now be much more open to Knock Knock jokes - even the one that finishes up "Orange you glad I didn't say banana?"

2 comments:

Angie said...

we too had a few months of knock knock jokes told constantly in our family--usually on the ride home from school. Campbell tells his own version and is thoroughly pleased with himself, over and over and over again (usually some convoluted version of the orange/banana joke) I love seeing his mind grasp a concept and run with it, but the same thing over and over again has gotten old. I'll have to remember the cow joke--the kids will love that one!

fivekidsandsomechocolate said...

It is interesting how all families are touched by this cultural ritual...and how it appeals to certain age groups. It's rather like the circulation of a cold. My almost two year old love engaging in knock knock babble, too.