Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Thursday, February 14, 2008

Happy Valentine's Day

I would love to see the poll numbers - separate for men and women - about whether Valentine's Day is a real holiday. D has always maintained that it is a fake holiday made up by the card manufacturers. (I know that to be true, lest you think me to be a real pushover.) Sometimes, however, things transcend their original purpose. A day set aside to express love can't be a bad thing. It just can't. Making someone you care about very very happy can't be a bad thing. I've always said that the key to my happiness is very low expectations, but that not exactly true. People mean more to me than things. Their motives and reasons for doing things are important. The things my children bring home to me from school are so sweet, and I'm thrilled. That's the feeling I'm talking about. That's what I think Valentine's Day is about.

2 comments:

EarlGirl said...

A friend of mine brought me flowers. That's enough for me to make it a real holiday!

Abby said...

Seriously, isn't it funny how much girls love flowers on Valentine's Day? My family sent some to me, and it truly made my day. I took more pictures - I'll be posting some soon.