Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Wednesday, February 6, 2008

Mom, There's footprints.

That's what he said. It's just a generally understood fact that Q will take advantage of any opportunity he gets to preform massive amounts of mischief in the absence of an on-looking eye. This afternoon it was glitter paint and the couch. That wasn't great but cleaned up fine. It wasn't the end of his escapades, however. I was tired of fighting him, and had sought some consolation in the quiet of the office. When he came into the office, maybe 10 minutes later, he had white powder on his feet and the bottoms of his pant legs. I got up to see what he had done. . .small trail of white powder turning into a river. Footprints, galore and so much more. An 8 foot toy stuffed snake from IKEA was swimming in it. So was baby A. The only real relief I had was that he had not added water to it. Lately, he's been throwing everything into my cooking pots and adding water, and sometimes soap, lotion, aloe vera gel, urine . . . whatever comes to mind really. I'm well settled into resignation today. This is my boy. I love him. Hate what he does, but I love him. I'm hoping that his endless creativity, curiosity and determination will bring him a great deal of success in his life, rather than draw him into crime. I may have as many as 14 years to mold and shape him. He's got a fighting chance. I may be completely crazy by the time he has found his calling in life, but I doubt anyone will have to wonder why. Ah, the joys of Q at four years.






This last print was made by my baby girl. It was almost too cute to clean up, but alas it had to be done.

5 comments:

EarlGirl said...

Wow. I'm speechless. Footprints indeed!

Abby said...

You'll never know how much it means to me that YOU are speechless. Truly. You, who have been through so much yourself - the "Chockit" alone was worthy of a mothering medal. Thank you for you comiseration.

Abby said...

I mean, commiseration. Thank you for you comMiseration.

Anonymous said...

Is that why you had to finish up your email so fast today :) haha. Too cute. Love the little footprints.

Anonymous said...

I have triplets that used to do creative things like this...They are 17 now and I just cracked up when I saw the powder trail. Memories of a Fisher Price tea set party in the toilet bowl came rushing back...thanks for the laugh!