Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Monday, November 10, 2008

I don't want to scare you but . . .

If you want to see what we are up against, go to  Mormons Stole Our Rights. It's pretty clear to me that the authors of this blog have at one time been members of the church. 

Or try the Freedom From Religion Foundation. Hmmmm . . . that's not what the constitution states, right?

The next item quotes numerous people with regard to the "failure" of Prop 8. If you are already freaking out, you may not want to read this one. It is pretty graphic in terms of how angry people are. . . which I don't think is a bad thing for us to know. We can't be naive about this. On the other hand, at the bottom, there are a number of other article links which will help you to see that we aren't the only ones in the battle. We are being singled out, but we aren't the only ones fighting for traditional marriage.

What I find interesting is that not one of the persons advocating taking away the tax exempt status of the church has mentioned what groups funded the "NO on 8 campaigns." It makes one wonder. Should we look into that? I mean seriously. I bet it wouldn't take much digging to find that the actual law was violated - and not just the "spirit of the law".

Here is my opinion. Take away the tax exempt status of the LDS church! Please! I can't imagine a greater blessing! The actual church leaders will then be free to lobby anyone they want, be as involved as they feel necessary - ON A PERSONAL LEVEL - and do whatever they please with regard to maintaining laws in the United States. It won't hurt the church. I wouldn't be surprised if they were ready for all of this long before they encouraged church members to rally in support of Prop 8. 

There were a lot of threats made, and what I see happening is that it will become more and more difficult to attend the temple - but we will continue to go.
More than likely, a Temple will be vandalized or there will be concerted efforts to destroy one soon. What will that say? It will probably get some attention. It won't go unnoticed. In the end it will serve good far more than it's instigators anticipate.
Weddings will become more private affairs for church members, rather than openly celebrated events - for protection of those involved. It will only take one wedding photo session, or reception being attacked to move us in that direction.
We will continue to practice our religion.
The first article offered people an opportunity to join a "mass resignation" from the church. I think many will leave the church over this. This will sift the general membership of the church a great deal. 

So, I'm asking again. Are We Ready? 


3 comments:

Angie said...

Our friends were working at the LA Temple the day after the election. It was immediately closed when the demonstrations began and all the workers were instructed to stay in the apartments in the back--safe--while the "demonstrators" aka vandals did everything in their power to gain access to the temple grounds and deface them. It has begun. I have also heard of other California churches publically apologizing to the church for the heat we are taking for everyone, since church members are maybe 1% of the voters who passed prop 8. Our CA friends have taken great heat, their homosexual relatives have screamed and disowned them for supporting (emotionally and financially) prop 8 and their children are being harrassed. And somehow, this is to show us all that we are the intolerant ones? Terrifying doesn't even begin to cover it.

Lara said...

I am ready. Thanks for bringing me up to speed. It is kind of interesting that they blame the mormon church. Because really there are not that many members in California compared to the number of non-members. But thankfully the members are responsible citizens who voted and others as well. And did the church really pump money into people's pockets to further the cause? Doesn't seem likely. All the efforts that I heard about were voluntary. My brother's in laws were asked to go door to door and I know others were asked to make phone calls.

Kate said...

Abby, I am ready too. I have done a lot of thinking before and after because of my sisters....... interesting that they would cause me to think so much but I want to be able to say, I feel this way because I know this is true I know this is right. And I can.

By the way, I love San Diego, there is a Man in San Diego who is inviting everyone to "Hug a Mormon" because of all they did durring the campaign, My inlaws went door to door every saturday from August through November (in Santa Clara County just south of San Fransico)and after being chased by dogs and having many other interesting experiences, they deserve a hug.