Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Thursday, November 27, 2008

Detergent.

So, I had a sink full of dishes and I was out of dishwasher detergent. It's Thanksgiving and I'm not in the mood to find a place to sell me some, so I turned to the internet. I sorted through a bunch of recipes and found a number of ingredients that I had on hand.

Baking Soda
liquid dish soap
lemon juice

I put a nickel sized spot of the liquid detergent in each side of the dispenser. I added about a teaspoon of lemon juice to each side and then filled the rest of the cups up with baking soda. It was a grand experiment. When I shut the door and pushed start I had flashbacks of the Brady bunch episode where the kids put regular dish soap in the dishwasher and have suds pouring out into the kitchen. That didn't happen, however. I did two loads this way today - both of them came out with good results. In each load there was at least one dish or pan that wasn't completely clean, but that sometimes happens with regular detergent as well. I was very pleased. It stirred me a little bit to find other things I could replace with less expensive homemade concoctions. Why not? It also made me think a little about how mentally dependent I am as a consumer on the products I use. I was glad to break out of the box a bit and try something new - and especially happy that it turned out so well!

No comments: