Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Tuesday, November 27, 2007

Treasures in Heaven

I need to preface this entry with this simple statement. I am a Christian, I study Christ and try to emulate Him. You need not be a Christian to read this, but I wanted you to know ahead of time that this entry will be of a religious nature.

These are some of the words of Christ. "But lay up for yourselves treasures in heaven, where neither moth nor rust doth corrupt, and where thieves do not break through nor steal. For where your treasure is, there will your heart be also."

I've heard these words all of my life, but today I read them and they meant something completely new and different to me. Today, they spoke to me of my family, of my children. When we "lay up in store" it is through our time and effort, focused on that task. There are many many people in the world who are focused on what they lay up in earthly wealth and goods. Of course, we have to provide for our families in terms of what is necessary for survival and comfort. I'm talking about our focus, however. We can work to provide, while keeping our focus on the family itself rather than the money and things that we "want". I was thinking of today that the treasure I want in Heaven is my family, my children around me. If the treasure I want with me in Heaven is my family, then they will be my focus here on earth, too. The thought that where my treasure is, my heart would be also seemed exceptionally powerful as I thought of these five lovely souls that the Lord has entrusted to me. My Treasures.

No comments: