Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Tuesday, November 13, 2007

Like a Deer

I am just stunned at how quickly time is passing. We are making plans for Thanksgiving. All of those "Holiday Travel" stories are on the 6 o'clock news. The kids are off track for three weeks. I'm on the internet more than ever getting the Christmas shopping done. I've been stashing things away for a while, and there's not too much left to do - but STILL. It's almost overwhelming to think that there are really only 6 weeks left in 2007. In truth, I'm glad that we've almost put the year behind us. I think I'm much better off in many ways than I was last year at this time. I'm a different person, and just about anyone that really knows me will tell you that. Life has a way of doing that to a person. A rolling stone gathers no moss, but also gets the rough edges knocked clean off. In 2007, things around here were really roiling, or rolling whichever you prefer. We have settled somewhat, but the changes that came along the way seem fairly permanent. I have more compassion than I used to, and I'm less naive, but not bitter. I'm looking forward to many wonderful things to come. The kids are growing faster than I know how to cope with. I'm focusing in on the important things, however. I have a good idea of what I want from life, and a decent sense of what will be required - in terms of effort - to get there. I'm happier and stronger than I was last year around Thanksgiving. Day by day, time has past and now finds me here, like a deer in the headlights of the oncoming year. Stunned, but at the same time, I know the new year won't cause any permanent damage - not really.

No comments: