Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Sunday, July 22, 2007

Great Vacation Two

As you can probably imagine, there are hundreds of photos. I'll try to add some once we've downloaded them. Unfortunately for me, D decided to snap some shots of me in my bathing suit at a little water park in Henderson. It was stunning, and I don't mean that in a good way. I won't post any of those, most likely, but there are quite a few others that will make this little cyber-place a great deal more colorful.
After the National Parks we went to Las Vegas where we stayed with my cousin for a few days, and then with Dan's brother. I was surprised by how much more comfortable I was than I had imagined I'd be. The outdoor temperatures were between 105 and 108 degrees (mostly at the high end), but thanks to air-conditioning and lots of it we were happy as clams. By 10:00 p.m. it was down to about 95, and you could go running around without much trouble from the heat. Tuesday, we went to the Buffet for lunch, then to the Shark Reef, at Mandalay Bay. (I bet you can't guess what the kids chose - pizza, mashed potatoes, meatballs, and soft serve Ice cream for dessert.) The aquatic life was awesome. I was only sad that I couldn't get any photos of the best part - it was just too dark. Other than that, we didn't do much "downtown". When we got back to my cousins' we explored that little squirt park that I mentioned before, then my cousin and I went to the best Sushi place ever! It's fun to be a grown up! The plan had been that the moms would go and enjoy their Sushi, followed by the dads - allowing us the opportunity to avoid trying to find a babysitter for nine children. Well, little did we know that the little restaurant closed at 9:30 p.m. The dads were pretty disappointed, and had every right to be. I have to say that I was impressed by how well D took the disappointment. They tried another place, but it wasn't nearly as good. I tried to make up for it by running out for Cold Stone, I think that my cousin's husband had forgiven me by the time we left on Wednesday.
The children were great, and seemed very content with a swim every day. Both families had pools, and what a difference that makes! My older boys were very excited to to get to THEIR cousins' house. The children in that home are closer to their ages, and they had non-stop fun. They played "spoons" a lot, video games of course, went to the go-carts, and swam each evening. Even the baby loved the water, and was very excited each time she saw people putting on their swim suits.
When it was time to head home, on Friday, no one really wanted to go. That wasn't a surprise. What was a surprise to me was that as the parents, D and I weren't completely wasted. We all had a good time, there was very little fighting, the kids were respectful and well-behaved. It was much better than anyone, including myself, had imagined. We needed it, and the heavens have smiled upon us.
Right now, I've got to get some Sunday breakfast going. Life, as they say, does go on. . .and it's been going on without me for an hour or so. Hungry people will soon be making their appearance in the kitchen, and I'd better have a plan.

No comments: