Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Tuesday, September 30, 2008

No Small Miracles Need Apply.

First, the words to 'How firm a foundation':

How firm a foundation, ye saints of the Lord,
Is laid for your faith in His excellent Word!
What more can He say than to you He hath said
Who unto the Savior for refuge have fled?

In every condition, -- in sickness, in health,
In poverty's vale, or abounding in wealth,
At home and abroad, on the land, on the sea, --
The Lord, the Almighty, they strength e'er shall be.

"Fear not, I am with thee, oh, be not dismayed,
For I am thy God and will still give thee aid;
I'll strengthen thee, help thee, and cause thee to stand,
Upheld by My righteous, omnipotent hand.

"When through the deep waters I call thee to go,
The rivers of sorrow shall not overflow;
For I will be with thee thy troubles to bless
And sanctify to thee thy deepest distress.

"When through fiery trials thy pathway shall lie,
My grace, all-sufficient, shall be thy supply.
The flames shall not hurt thee; I only design
Thy dross to consume and thy gold to refine.

"E'en down to old age all My people shall prove
My sovereign, eternal, unchangeable love;
And when hoary hairs shall their temples adorn,
Like lambs they shall still in My bosom be borne.

"The soul that on Jesus hath leaned for repose
I will not, I will not, desert to his foes;
That soul, though all hell should endeavor to shake,
I'll never, no never, no never, forsake!"


Text: Isaiah 43:1-7
Author: "Keen",1787, alt
Composer: Bernhard Schumacher, 1931
Tune: "Firm Foundation"

This has always been one of my favorite hymns. My sister spoke about it in church on Sunday, very eloquently. The children were quiet enough during the meeting that I was able to reflect upon all the ways my own prayers have been answered through this particular hymn's words. It is especially applicable in my life right now. The Lord has sustained me through the deep waters, through the fiery trials, and caused me to stand. That is not to say that I believe those trials are finished or that the waters have receded - simply that I can see His hand at work and I am amazed.
To fully tell the story of the day, I need to go back to March. There was a contest I felt compelled to enter. I'm not sure why - I simply felt that I should put together an entry. It was: Three Scrapbook Pages, Five Cards and Two three dimensional items. It took nearly ten days working almost non stop. I fed and bathed the children, but generally let them run amok during that time. The house and I were a complete disaster. It took longer than I imagined, including a few very late nights - or should I say early early mornings. The entire time, I was compelled. For some reason I didn't understand, I knew I had to do it. I had to finish it.
So, fast forward to a month ago. The company I sent the contest entry to is quite near my home, about 10 minutes. I have a few acquaintances working there, one of them with considerable responsibility. She called me near the end of August to let me know that there was a job on the company's website that she thought I should consider applying for. I hadn't been checking the site for postings lately, but it had been one of my first choices when I was looking for a job. I was stunned and I thanked her profusely. 
The job looked quite involved, but appeared to be something that I could handle. When I got to the bottom of the listing there was a note. Samples of personal work would be part of the application:  Two Scrapbook Pages, Five Cards and Three three dimensional items. All due September 30th. At first I thought, "There is just no way I could get this done. Look what it took last time, and I am now working full time, to boot. Then this little voice reminded me that I had done it before - and I could do it again." A little time goes by with me too petrified to even begin - until I get to those last 10 days. I felt very inspired when I did the entry. This time the work just flowed. I started and finished project after project. I never wasted any time on 'not knowing what to do next. When I got stuck, I'd move back and forth between the remaining projects. 
During the ten days, most often I went to bed at regular time without setting foot in my work area. One night I was up until Eleven, once until midnight. I was exhausted already and the most I could do was tend to my children. I would say to myself, "I am not going to put more energy into this than I can afford. I have to be smart. If I finish, I finish. My health and children are more important." Monday night, I had started two scrapbook pages and had an idea what I'd do for the 3D projects. It was my first night with the kids in a long time, though and I wanted the time for them. We had family home evening - and when we were done, the house was clean and we had read scriptures, prayed, and played Wii for about an hour. We had a great time together. I knew I made the right choice. Tuesday, September 30th was a day off from work for me, and I woke up early and worked for about an hour before the kids needed to get up for school. It was a miracle day. My mother took my youngest about Eleven so that I could finish up. It was the only time I needed extra help (also different from March). The pages came together quickly and I was very pleased with them. Things seemed to come together in miraculous ways, especially when I was doing small processes that needed to be exact. Normally, I'd need to make try after try to get it just right, but on Tuesday - it was just 'right'.
I realized that I had already done some good 3D work for the classes I taught in the Granite School District this year. I framed one of them (I just happened to have the right frame on hand) and that left two pieces with 3 hours to work. Part of that time was absorbed my children, getting them home from school, refereeing squabbles, etc. At about 15 minutes to 5 p.m. I placed the rest of my projects in the box and headed out. My seven year old daughter E came with me - she thought because I wanted the company, which is true, but I thought she would be safer where her whining wouldn't be considered a capital offense. ) Twelve year old brothers really hate little girls' whining.
About three minutes from home I had a sinking feeling. I had left my smallest 3D project at home on my desk. I knew that I wouldn't get there in time if I turned back, so I forged ahead. Upon arriving with stress dripping from my fingers, I explained my predicament. The ladies at the front desk sweetly suggested that I could bring the piece for the night watchman, and he could place it on the front desk. I told them I lived a little more than 10 minutes away, and could be back within half an hour. One of the women said she'd still be there - and so my race was on, again. When I brought the little box in, she smiled. She placed it in the box and said, "You made it." 
Thinking back on that moment is really ethereal for me. She couldn't know this whole story, but there is someone who knew. It is as though I can hear a voice echoing in the heavens, "You made it." It means so much to me. It was no small miracle. My children and I were better cared for this time around. My house was cleaner. I was calm while I worked, and happy with the results. (You can see photos now HERE.)
Here's the best part. I have no idea what this is all about. Like with Tai-Pan, it could be simply an exercise. I may not hear from them at all, and that is okay. As miraculous as this story is to me, there are things at work and with Scentsy that have been just as amazing. (I truly mean that. He is causing me to stand.) I'm willing to take on the challenges the Lord sends my way. I grow and learn from them. I don't need them to mean anything. If they do, I will be grateful at the way He is directing my life - the same as I already am. I will just keep being grateful.

3 comments:

The Lund Five said...

I'm glad that you did it and I wish you luck. That would be a great opportunity for you and something that you would be really good at!!!

Kate said...

I haven't had any "You made it" Moments lately- but I have had a couple of "You can do this" moments and it is amazing how good they feel, infact one "you can do this" feeling kept me going for almost 5 days, it might still be working but I got a cold and so I am slowing down. Anyway, I love you, You Can Do It, and someday I hope we get to really hear the Big Guy say, "You Made It!"

Marci said...

I hope everything will work out for the best! You have such a great testimony and show great faith no matter what comes your way. I love that about you!