Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Wednesday, April 25, 2007

Wacky Wednesday

E woke up thrilled this morning - not an especially common occurence - simply because today was "Wacky Wednesday". She was to wear her shirt inside out and if it was possible, some shoes that were too big. Well, we decided on inside out and backwards for the shirt. Tags right under your chin scream "I am totally wigged out". She wore some of my shoes, and it's frankly amazing that she was able to walk. She looked adorable in a completely disheveled kind of way, we took a picture and she beamed. How fun was that? Well, I got more than just a small giggle from the 2nd graders that noticed her on her way in to class. They stopped, looked, looked at each other, looked at her again - looked toward the car she had come from, looked at her, ther car, each other. I swear I am not exaggerating. It was sweet! You just don't get that kind of reaction from people. They were dumbfounded. They had no explanation. I asked her later if they had said anyting to her. (They must've been standing there all together for at least 30 seconds - E with two complete strangers.) She said that they hadn't, which I found surprising. Most often children are more than happy to point out anything that seems out of place. We all know it's true. Those two girls however, they finally gave up. I guess they just figured that the poor little kindergartener was so hopelessly out of it, they would just let her be. Like, "Whoa, there's not hope for this one. Walk away casually and try not to look."
E told me that her teacher was even wackier. This is a woman who understands the mind of five and six year old children. She loves to reward them and push their limits. She loves to see them grow. E isn't a particularly shy little girl. She has a lot of self-confidence. It wasn't easy, however, for her to change schools in the middle of her first year. She was brave, and she's been rewarded. We are about ready to start out last big off-track time before the end of the school year. I know that I've got to start preparing her for the fact that she won't be going back to Mrs. M's class next year. Over Spring Break, they were out of school three extra days. She had to make a card for her teacher to tell her how much she missed her. I guess I'll just have to up my game. I'll have to make life fun and challenging while she's out of school. Not that I feel I need to compete with her kindergarten teacher, just that I don't want to be miserable for three weeks while they're home. We'll have to have a wacky Wednesday and a Terrific Tuesday, a Flippin Fantastic Friday. . .whatever. We'll figure it out. Pretty soon, she'll be in 1st grade. Better enjoy her as much as I can because in August she'll be gone from 8 a.m. to 3:30 p.m. - just like my big boys. A year from August, my Q will have a chance to be with Mrs. M. I can't wait to see what she does with HIM!

No comments: