Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Thursday, April 5, 2007

Giving

Yesterday I had the best idea. I told E a while ago that I'd give her some stamps and stamp pads for her birthday. As I was sitting here looking at the ones I was going to put on ebay, I realized that the three smallest sets were perfect for her. They were also some of my very first sets, and so oddly even though I don't love them any more - they have a lot of sentimental value for me. Today, I told her to run in and get the three small sets that I had set aside. She was so excited. She was looking carefully at them. When I said that they would all be hers, she was so thrilled. "I can have all of them?" She thought that I was going to let her choose one. I remembered that I also had a bunch of small stamp pads, and that we had some empty canisters in the top of the pantry. I put 6 little stamp pads, the three sets that I had given her along with a few other stamps into the canister - E's stamping kit. She can hardly wait to use it. She thought she'd have to wait for her next birthday. I told her that it is hers now, for her sixth birthday - and that mom is just a little bit slow. The only stipulation is that she can only use it when I have time to supervise, and A is not in need of a lot of attention. "When is A going to go to sleep?" It's nice to be able to make a little girl's day with just the things that I have on hand.

I'm sure that if I think about it, there are many things that I could offer to my children which would make them very happy. I need to better use my resources, share with them and enirch their lives in the process. It wouldn't require anything but thought and planning. I can afford that.

No comments: