Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Saturday, April 14, 2007

Saturday is a Special Day

When I was a little girl, we sang a song at church that started with the line, "Saturday is a special day. It's the day we get ready for Sunday." I was more than a little bit skeptical of that conclusion. Saturday was special because Daddy didn't have to go to work, and the pace was more relaxed. Today, it's the day I get things done without the usual chauffeuring of children to and from school. I cleaned all morning, except for the times I was checking on my ebay auctions. I had seven auctions ending today. That went well. (I really enjoy turning things I don't use anymore into money. It's just fun.) I finished up a big project on Thursday afternoon. It had been the cause of great neglect in the way of chores, although I managed to keep my children fed and clean and safe. Needless to say, I've got a lot to do in the way of housework on this fine Saturday, and that has been top on my list. I thought that today might be a nice day to go to the Tulip Festival at a local botanical garden, but I doubt there will be time. I'll have to do that with my mother next week.
For the most part, our Daddy "goes to work" in his home office on Saturdays. He almost always has a few hours of freelance work to do over the weekend. Today, he did exactly that, but now has taken his computer downtown to have the guys at the apple store check it out. He just called, and told me that when he got there the computer wasn't even starting up - a new symptom. To make matters worse, they told him the "insurance" he had for just such events wasn't valid anymore. The computer guys on the phone said that it WAS, so now he's got to get that figured out. The timing is more than bad.
It's been quite a week for disasters. E used the shelf in the mud room like monkey bars, and it all came down. It's a miracle she wasn't killed. Seriously, there was a full Craftsman tool box on the shelf. She could've been right underneath it, but she wasn't. The fact that she was in such an unsafe position has nothing to do with the project I mentioned earlier. I had run to the bathroom to get a hairbrush so that we could get her to school. I haven't had the slightest notion about trying to get into that room for the time being. It is completely overwhelming. The boys were messing around outside that same room later that evening and knocked our favorite clock off the wall. It still keeps time, barely. The "radio-controlled" feature that we liked is gone, but hey - it still ticks. If these freak events come in threes, then the fact that the computer flipped out today seems perfectly appropriate. Thankfully, we have other computers, faster better computers which will more than serve D as work tools. Also thankfully, we have a tax refund coming. It would be nice to pay some bills - but house repairs are right up there on the list of important things to accomplish. The mud room just jumped to the top of that list. Lawn repair probably should be on our list, but frankly, the state of the lawn is just one of those things I've chosen to put off. I don't even like to look out the back window right now. What we have back there is more of a dandelion field than a lawn. I'm not exaggerating - it just gets worse every day. Weed and feed will be our most valiant effort this year. Our neighbors will hate us. That's life. There's a lot going on inside our house these days. Someday we'll be able to devote more of Saturdays to the yard, but for now I guess we'll just have to keep focusing on the indoor part of the equation. Right now, the laundry is still waiting to be folded and people are going to need food again soon. Saturday IS a special day. It's the day we recover from all that happened earlier in the week, and try to hang on until Sunday.

No comments: