Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Sunday, March 4, 2007

Gathering my thoughts

Q asked me today if he was good in church. I had to stop and think. Was he quiet? Not especially. But I didn't have to take him out for being extra noisy - and, when I did have to take A out, he didn't follow me. "Yes, you were a very good boy today." This leads me to another thought.
Last Wednesday, I had the opportunity to go to a theater here in town - it is gorgeous, theater in the round and very unique. A month ago, our women's group at church was offered this gem of an evening. We could come tour the theater, have dinner and then see the show, "Little Women". I was looking forward to it, but when push came to shove, I couldn't find a sitter for the entire evening. It was one of D's late nights. So I decided to go just for the tour. That was the best idea I'd had in ages. It's the same thing I was thinking about today when Q asked me about his behavior. You can't have everything, but sometimes what you can have is great. The tour was great.
The third thought that seems to fit in very well here has to do with my family. I imagined what it would be like living with my children. Reality bears little resemblance to those early ideas. The children are beautiful and healthy. They are also smart alecs, and can often be very disrespectful - especially when it comes to things, like chores, which seem to interfere with the way they would prefer to use their time. Most of it, I can live with and consider very much related to immaturity. Since I am still in charge, however I have decided that there will be a new system of communication put into place. Immediately. Responses to Mom and Dad will now be addressed to Sir and Ma'am. T is going to outgrow me height-wise within the next year. At first D balked, thinking that it was too much. After making the height observation and then noting the laissez faire attitude with which the boy expresses his opinions, D was more on board.
The thing that most of these thoughts have in common is realism. They all recognize the dream world for what it is - an opportunity to be dissatisfied with life as IT ACTUALLY IS. In that recognition is also the opportunity to be satisfied with life's imperfections, and therefore the chance for happiness. That is truly a thought worth gathering into to my heart and mind as often as possible.

No comments: