Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Friday, August 1, 2008

LOUD!

This morning my eldest son, T was at the table with us, reading scriptures before the C & E (out two elementary kids) had to leave for school. These two school babes were multi-tasking, eating breakfast while we read. T was overwhelmed by the noisy eaters, and complained loudly that 'he couldn't take it anymore and they must stop their smacking, immediately.' To this I roared with laughter, and he was shocked, until I told him the story of my sister, C. She has always had the kind of hearing that would put most humans to shame. It seems not a meal in my parents home that went by with out complaints of smacking, clicking spoons, chomping . . . there are to be sure a plethora of adjectives that she used - but these are the ones that quickly come to mind. My favorite incident, however, and the one that convinced me of her beyond human hearing ability was the time I was up a little late on the computer, which happened to be located in the room directly above her bedroom. There was a commotion and I soon heard through the floor, "Could you please stop typing so LOUD!"
Ah, . . . those were the days.

1 comment:

Angie said...

Ah the memories! I don't know how C survived living with our noisy brood for 4 months! J said she used to complain that J breathed too loudly! Bionic hearing, what a gift. Her own children may send her to the insane assylum!