Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Monday, December 25, 2006

It's beginning to feel a lot like Christmas


My three year old - Q - is nestled all snug in his bed. All of my children are dreaming of sugar plums, I'm sure - or iPods. I'm preparing a book for my father - the last Christmas gift left on the list. When in the next room 'there arose such a clatter' - I sunk in my chair - I knew what was the matter. A tiny young son with a croupy cough, Christmas must be near. Last year, I was very pregnant with our fifth child - A - a daughter born December 27, 2005. I had hoped to have her here for Christmas, but it was not to be. That turned out to be one of the single most providential events of my life, and hers. Last year, everyone in my family (including my children & husband, sisters & spouses or boyfriends, parents, nieces & nephews, everyone, everyone, everyone) got the flu either Christmas Eve or Christmas Day. It's not the first time we've been sick for Christmas, although last year's event was the most far reaching. D and I have had children sharing Christmas with us for eleven years. We've seen croup, flu, stomach viruses, you name it. I much prefer the sniffles variety to the stomach variety. I don't think we need to explore that line of thinking any further. This year, "A" kicked off the Christmas illness season a little early. She was feverish and coughing on Wednesday. I should've seen the Christmas Eve coughing coming from at least five days away.
So, now let's try to put this in a positive light. Printing this book is going to take all night. (I've been at it for an hour and 5 1/2 of 24 pages are finished.) Rather than tossing and turning in anticipation of morning when I can finally see what "Santa Baby" brought me, then nodding off only to be awakened by the croupy cough, I can just stay awake. No stumbling into the next room half asleep, NO! I'll be wide awake, (Yeah right. I'm not 17 or even 25 anymore.)
On a truly great note, the quality of these photos is fantastic. This printer can do a borderless print, which makes it just look all the more professional. We have a book binding system which will actually make it truly professional. This is an heirloom I'm staying up to create. These kinds of endeavors are truthfully only possible at night. Why am I willing to see this through? Because first of all, I love my Dad. That is a blog entry all its own for another day. Secondly, my Dad loves this little three year old. My favorite of Q's questions for Grandpa? "Am I big and strong yet? Can I turn on the table saw?"
Q can be a holy terror sometimes. I have considered the possibility that my son may have had a prestigious calling in the courts on high prior to coming to earth in order to claim his corporeal form. Does the phrase 'Angel of Destruction' mean anything to you? Q is good, oh so good, at laying waste. He is so stealthy and throrough. Sometimes I just can't believe the havoc he can wreak in an instant. He is curly headed and solidly built - made for rough and tumble - totally adorable on the kid spectrum. This book I'm putting together is mainly the documentation of his dastardly deeds along side the grins and giggles. No one will appreciate this book more than my Dad. I can hardly wait to see Dad's face when he sees these photos together like this. It is a real gift, and that's why I'm willing to stay awake tonight.
Which brings me back to the croupy cough. I gave Q some tylenol "plus flu" and that seems to have taken care of it. An early morning Christmas gift for Mom. It's only 2 a.m. and I'm nearly almost half done with the printing. A just woke up to keep me company. Gotta go. Merry Christmas.

No comments: