Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Wednesday, April 1, 2009

Surprise.

I was in Junior High again this morning. I hadn't anticipated being there when all of the kids were milling through the halls but my meeting went longer than I anticipated. As I was exiting the building, with early teens on all sides, I was forced to grapple with something I've not dealt with in a LONG time.
I'm short!
I was even wearing the shoes that by default make me a little taller than I normally am. I was probably about eye level with a lot of the girls. . . but I was grossly outsized by most of the boys. I had this little feeling of panic, which REALLY surprised me. It's not that I felt insecure, or uncomfortable in my own skin - I'm good with those things. I have been at my current height for 27 years, which alone is twice the age of most of the kids in that building. I wasn't intimidated on an adult level. I love where I am as a person right now, even though this morning it meant meeting with the Vice Principal regarding my son's poor behavioral choices. (Another story for another time.)
What I realized is that a long time ago a young girl WAS intimidated by it all, and somewhere inside of me she is still alive and kicking. I had no idea, honestly. I've been in much more demanding social situations over the last 27 years. I spent 18 months as a missionary in a foreign country speaking with people about religion, in their language. I loved it. I enjoy public speaking - really enjoy it. I have never considered my adult self to be insecure, but that little girl is still there. What a surprise.

2 comments:

Tara Hoppie said...

I have some of those "little girl feelings" in there somewhere too. Funny, isn't it, after all that time that they are still in there.

EarlGirl said...

Good post. I agree with you, I think we all have that little girl still inside. Except the boys ;)