Here's to maintaining some self-respect and sanity while tending to the growth and maturation of young minds, including your own young mind. Here's to recognizing that it isn't necessary to know how everything is going to turn out in advance, and that often Life has much better in store than one can imagine. Here's to hope and happiness even when Life gets complicated, especially then... That's when it's needed it most.

...afterall, the car may only seat seven but room for friends is unlimited...

Tuesday, April 22, 2008

The loop.

My child, my child, my twelve year old son. He makes me so proud. He makes me want to pull my hair out. And all this in the same day. Today, I learned that he has fallen behind in many of his subjects. He assumed someone would hand him a list of all the assignments he needed to make up due to recent illnesses. Not so. Taking responsibility for oneself is part of growing up, and learning that is rarely an easy lesson. I count my blessings that he is beginning to learn this in the sixth grade - and not next year in junior high. I don't doubt that there will be continued need for parental supervision in his work, but I am really proud of him. He's been through a great deal this year, with the changes our family is going through. He's had to grow up a little faster than I might have liked, but in many ways he has already shown strength beyond his years. I count my blessings, as well, that while we were working on back homework, I found out about the poetry project which is due this Thursday. We plowed through as much of this week's work as we could to make room for more make up work in the last few days of the week. It threw me for a loop, to have all of that work land on my kitchen table this afternoon - and I totally blew my good food behavior - but, it's coming along just fine. The fact that I was able maintain my emotional composure - even if I had to down a big bowl of Cocoa Krispies to do it - was really important in helping him to feel that he could accomplish what had to be done. These lessons are all going to serve him very well in the years to come. I can see that he is less and less panicked by difficulties that come along, and all I can say is HALLELUJAH! My baby boy, my firstborn, my precious child is not a baby anymore.

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Wow. Today exactly, we were going through this with our "oh no, next year is Junior High" kid. Good job on maintaining composture, you are a good Mom.

Abby said...

I don't think it's so much that I'm a good mom, as it is a simple matter of being plugged into the Holy Ghost. It's amazing how clearly the Spirit can help you to see the end of a road before you get there. There were two roads, one was a lot of crying, one was a lot of work getting done - and let me tell you, I wanted that work done!

J.J. said...

wow, I don't have older children and I have heard there are different challenges. You really handled in it a good way, and showed your son the importance of working hard and trying to see the end of it all.

fivekidsandsomechocolate said...

Good moms are plugged into the Spirit. You are fantastic. Sixth grade is hard, so many changes take place. Allowing/teaching kids to be independent throws me for a loop regularly.